Freelance Textiles Workshop Facilitator – Remade Network, Glasgow
*Deadline Friday 9th September 2022*
Contract Type: Freelance
Salary: £30 per hour
Average work pattern: Minimum 4 hours (1 workshop) a week, with the potential for more
Remade Network is a social enterprise training and campaigning for reuse and repair. We believe in a community-led approach to building a repair economy in Scotland which challenges consumerism, creates local jobs and builds markets in repair education.
Our high street repair service on Victoria Road offers affordable repairs of tech, electronic and textile items to help customers to reject throw-away culture. We also run a desktop distribution project, refurbishing computers to support vulnerable people across Glasgow, supported by the Scottish Government.
We are currently looking for a Textiles Workshop Facilitator to run textiles workshops of up to 8 participants in different locations around Glasgow. The types of workshops we offer include:
- How to darn
- Denim repair
- Make your own Christmas decoration using surplus material
- Visible mending
- We would also be open to other suggestions!
Deadline: Midnight on Friday 9th September 2022, shortlisted candidates will be informed by 5pm Tuesday 13th September, with interviews on Friday 16th September, ideally in person on Victoria Road (socially distanced) or if not over zoom.
NB. If we do not fill this role by this date we may extend these deadlines.
- Teaching repair skills via online/in-person workshops
- Explaining techniques workshop attendees in plain English
- Sourcing parts (thread, zips etc.)
- Preparing workshop materials
- Using a sewing machine and teaching others
- Diagnosing issues and offering advice and repair solutions
- Keeping excellent records
- Highly organised, efficient and adaptable individual
- Great teamwork
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to support and encourage others
- Strong problem-solving and research skills
- Can-do attitude
- Strong commitment to Remade Network’s ethos and values
- Experience in a teaching environment
- Experience in textile repair
- Experience in a customer-facing environment
- Experience demonstrating excellent communication and team-working skills
- Competence undertaking a variety of textile repairs
NB: We also offer a textiles repair service to customers from our shop on Victoria Road. If you are also interested in working within the shop to offer customer repairs please make a note in your application.
Please apply by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV and max 2 page cover letter with the subject title ‘Textile Workshop Facilitator‘ out how you meet the job criteria and including two references (please indicate if you are happy for us to contact them before the interview).
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Place of work: Govanhill and across Glasgow
Remade Network SC614047