Salary: £10-12ph, 15-20 hours a week
*Deadline Sunday 28th March*
Remade Network is a social enterprise training and campaigning for reuse and repair. We believe in a community-led approach to building a repair economy in Scotland which challenges consumerism, creates local jobs and builds markets in repair education.
In July 2020 we launched the ‘Repair Stop’ a pop-up repair and reuse hub in the Southside of Glasgow. We are now preparing for a move to a new high-street location on Victoria Road in Govanhill.
Repair Stops offer affordable repairs of tech, electronic and textile items to help customers to reject throw-away culture. We also run a desktop distribution project, refurbishing computers to support vulnerable people across Glasgow, supported by the Scottish Government.
We are looking for a Textiles Repair Technician to be based at our new location in Govanhill, serving customers and undergoing textiles repairs. This will include repairs such as using a sewing machine / handheld method to replace zips, mend/patch holes on a variety of clothing items, strengthen worn areas (e.g. jeans), fixing linings etc.
Experience offering visible mending is desirable but not essential.
Deadline: Midnight 28th March 2021, shortlisted candidates will be informed by 5pm Monday 29th March, with interviews on Wednesday 31st March, ideally in person on Victoria Road (socially distanced) or if not over zoom.
NB. If we do not fill this role by this date we may extend these deadlines.
- Using a sewing machine/handheld method to carry out textiles repairs (e.g. jeans, knitted jumpers, bags, shirts, holes/patches, some alterations)
- Diagnosing issues and offering advice and repair solutions to customers
- Sourcing parts (thread, zips etc.)
- Explaining repairs to customers in plain English
- Logging repair status’ via our repair management software
- Serving customers and logging a variety of different repairs
- Supporting volunteers in the workplace and at external events/locations
- Keeping excellent records
- Responding to customer enquiries
- Teaching repair skills via online/in person(post-covid) workshops
- Highly organised, efficient and adaptable individual
- Great teamwork
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to support and encourage others
- Strong problem solving and research skills
- Can-do attitude
- Strong commitment to Remade Network’s ethos and values
- Experience in an organisation (paid or voluntary) which demonstrates excellent communication and team-working skills
- Competence undertaking a variety of textile repairs
- Experience offering textiles repairs
- Experience in a teaching environment
- 2 years’ experience in a retail or customer-facing environment
Please apply by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV and max 2-page cover letter with the subject title ‘Textile Repair technician’ setting out how you meet the job criteria and including two references (please indicate if you are happy for us to contact them before the interview).
We regret we cannot enter into a discussion about the role prior to application or provide feedback to unsuccessful candidates.
Place of work: Govanhill, Glasgow
Remade Network SC614047